Back to Bethesda For A Melanoma Cancer Tumor Removal   August 29th, 2011

I just got the call from the Fellow at the National Cancer Institute confirming that they want me to be part of their program. I was also told that my surgery to remove one or more tumors for harvesting lymphocytes is scheduled for Wednesday. Apparently the surgery is not a very invasive (and pervasive) surgery, so I would only have to spend one night in the hospital, if that.

So we’ll be flying down early tomorrow morning (getting flights was a bear because of all the catch-up the airlines need to do after this past weekend’s crazy number of flight cancellations), and returning to Boston on Thursday evening.

I’ll try to post more once I finish my round of meetings tomorrow afternoon at the clinic.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,
This entry was posted on Monday, August 29th, 2011 at 17:17 and is filed under Health. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.Both comments and pings are currently closed.

August 29th, 2011 at 17:27

woohoo!!!!!!!

August 29th, 2011 at 17:40
Liz Says:

Thank God on both!!! FYI…looks like the enlarged nodes were infection related…still going to see surgeon though for thorough exam on the 15th….Love and hugs to you guys.

August 29th, 2011 at 18:43
Leslie Says:

yea!

August 29th, 2011 at 19:01
hannah Says:

Waiting here to hear the good results!

August 29th, 2011 at 19:48
Karen Says:

Congratulations Jake…I’m so happy to read the news that you were accepted into the NCI program. I’ll be thinking of you in the coming days and hope all goes well and you have minimal discomfort and recovery from this procedure. My PET and MRI scan results showed no other tumors. The current plan is I go in on 9/7 for an axillary lymph node dissection with follow on radiation. Tomorrow I have an appointment at the Vanderbilt Ingram Cancer Center to meet with them and get their opinions on course of action, and what other adjunctive therapy or clinical trials may be available to me. I’m happy to finally be moving toward a forward path in treatment.

August 29th, 2011 at 19:52

Hi Karen,

I wish you the best with the surgery next week. The recovery, especially the drain, is annoying, but it gets you a step further down the path with treatment (and hopefully prevention). Make sure to use some tape to make a flag attached to your skin and the drain hose, near the exit site, so that you don’t accidentally yank on it and pull on the stitch holding it in place. That really, really hurts.

Please keep us posted on your progress!

August 29th, 2011 at 20:44
Faith Says:

Excellent! and glad they gave you an extra day in there for travel, given how screwed up the east coast airlines are right now…

August 30th, 2011 at 04:49
Karin Says:

Great! Fingers crossed!!!

August 30th, 2011 at 05:53

Jake, good news! I’ll send healing thoughts Wednesday for surgery and a quick recovery. No drain tubes this time I hope?

Keep us posted! Rock on Melanoma Warrior!

August 30th, 2011 at 06:46

We are so happy you got into the program ! Good Luck and hugs. <3

August 30th, 2011 at 07:21
miriam Says:

Hello Jake,
We wish you all the strength and positiviness during your surgery!
Finn asked many times how you are doing and he misses Bas!
Take care!
Miriam

August 30th, 2011 at 07:46
Wallace Says:

Best of luck to you and your family. Although we never met, I think of you daily.

August 30th, 2011 at 11:17

YAY!!! Best wishes for the new treatment!

August 30th, 2011 at 12:11
John L Says:

Sometime in the not too distant future, as our families share an amazing dinner together, we will toast, “to NED.” Thinking about you every day.

August 30th, 2011 at 13:52

Terrific news!!!!!
To NED!
Hugs and love,

August 30th, 2011 at 20:34
pat Says:

thinking of you jake and checking your blog. i like the website aim at melanoma for straight answers.

August 30th, 2011 at 22:14

Great news on formal acceptance to the clinical!! You continue to blaze new trails and encourage and inspire each and every one of us! Much love to you, Linda, Yana and Bas. One more step on the road to wellness!

August 31st, 2011 at 12:01
Judy Workman Says:

I’m soooo happy for you, Jake! This is the beginning of your new NED life! Hope the surgery is easy-peasy and you’re home quickly without any pain.

August 31st, 2011 at 13:02
Divepatty Says:

What an amazing process. Here’s to NED! I will be on Bonaire last week of Sept. Need anything brought back to US? We live just outside Annapolis.