Day 0 Draws to a close   October 6th, 2011

From Linda while Jake catches a cat nap…

Jake’s happy warrior TIL cells needed a feeding of IL2 to support them. At 3pm, Jake began his first dose of IL2. It is an infusion which takes about 15 minutes. They had warned us that side effects like fever, chills, nausea, and rigors, usually develop within one to two hours. Additional medications would be at hand to combat whatever developed. The worst of the side effects should subside between doses.

About 45 minutes after the infusion, Jake developed chills, nausea, and the rigors came on fast and furious. While his nurse got IV meds for the nausea and rigors, the kids and I went for the heated blankets and wrapped him up tight. I had been massaging Jake’s legs, but snuggling up close and holding him tight worked best. The kids and I held him close until the meds worked their magic and the rigors became an unpleasant memory.

Within another hour, Jake was cautiously sitting up and his fever had disappeared. The doctors told him later that generally a larger man’s muscle mass reacts more strongly to the IL2 but likely the reaction would lessen as the doses continued. They also increased another medication to hopefully lessen this as well on the next IL2 dose. He was feeling well enough to sit on the edge of his bed and watch a tv show with us before the kids headed back to the Lodge and bed.

So here I sit blogging in Jake’s room on a club chair that folds out to a single bed. I’ll be staying with Jake tonight as his IL2 dose #2 is scheduled for 11pm, followed by dose #3 at 7am.

Tags: , ,
This entry was posted on Thursday, October 6th, 2011 at 22:00 and is filed under Health. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.Both comments and pings are currently closed.

October 7th, 2011 at 00:39

Thanks for the update Linda and I hope you get some rest too! You are all amazing! Hugs!!!

October 7th, 2011 at 07:09
Judy Workman Says:

You’re on the downhill leg of this stage this morning. Hope you get through this dose with ease and comfort. Hang in there Jake and family :)

October 7th, 2011 at 09:01
Pam Says:

Linda, I am so glad you stayed the night with him. I stayed with Joe throughout the IL-2 portion too. It is good for Jake to have you there with him. You will be glad to get back to your comfy bed at the lodge though, that chair/bed is not the most comfortable thing to sleep on. Keep up the good work Jake! Just keep imagining the TIL cells kicking that cancer’s butt!

October 7th, 2011 at 09:40
Cathy Says:

I’m stage 3 melanoma at the moment and Jake has become my new role model. Love his positive, strong, battle-it-out attitude. I hope I can be as courageous in my battle. Thoughts and prayers are with you …… Jake’s my man!

October 7th, 2011 at 09:50
April Says:

Just wanted to let you all know thoughts and prayers are with you always.
I found your blog in late July after being diagnosed with Stage l melanoma on the
top of my foot. After a WLE and SNL, I am now NED. Your story is such an inspiration for me. Every morning after taking my kids to school, it is time for coffee
And to check on Jake and his family :) I know you will defeat this monster…you are leaving it no other option. Stay strong and may God Bless you all!

October 7th, 2011 at 10:33
Dad Says:

Jake, we will win! We all will winn. With your leading the way!
To NED with love – yours dad and mom

October 7th, 2011 at 10:57

Linda, thanks for the update. And, bug hugs to you and the kids, especially you…the role caregiver is in full force. Hope you get some rest today as well.

I hope Jake made it through the night without too much discomfort…the visual was something I imagine Poseidon taking on in a big battle….you are DA MAN my friend!

Cathy, I wish NED for you as well. Melanoma Warriors need to unite, and help each other. April, I’m so glad to hear you have NED already hooked up :)

Jake, know that there were several of us yesterday listening to your songs as you received your first TIL….all visualizing them slashing the cancer cells to smitherines!!!!

Hugs and love,

October 7th, 2011 at 13:17
Gail thomas Says:

My heart breaks for all that you all (patient, caregivers, supporters)are going through. I admire your strength and wisdom in sharing this difficult journey to inspire others to keep up the fight. Prayers and tight hugs to all of you. Keep the faith!

October 7th, 2011 at 18:42

You have all been on my mind, and in my heart, all day today.

October 7th, 2011 at 19:34

Linda…..snuggles ALWAYS work best! So pass on a few from me :) Love to you all!

hugs!

October 7th, 2011 at 23:09

Linda,Jake,Bas and Yana – A big virtual bear hug from Minnesota!