Jake in the hospital   February 7th, 2012

From Linda…

Jake had been feeling dizzy, weak, and fatigued last week. Over the weekend, it became a big problem and we began a fast and furious email conversation with all his doctors at MGH. They decided to push his brain MRI to Monday morning to see if anything there was causing problems. This morning we had an in-person consult with the radiation oncologist, Dr. Oh. He saw some minimal changes on the scans but wasn’t expecting the ipi to have done much at just 1.5 weeks in any case. He did take notice of Jake’s weakened condition and decided to admit him to the hospital to get him started on various medications to help with his energy level, his non-existent appetite (my major frustration and concern), and get further consults from the brain surgeon that we had met with in January.

So Jake and I spent much of the day waiting in the ER until finally getting admitted to the hospital about 5pm today. Jake was in the ER so they could start the hydrating IVs and medications as well as doing lots of tests rather than waiting for a room.

Jake is in the good hands of the Lunder 9 staff at MGH. So far we know he was dehydrated and had low red blood levels enough to get some whole blood units which he is getting right now. Tomorrow, we should be meeting with the doctor about possible brain surgery.

Jake also wanted to let everyone know that he decided to withdrawal from his classes since he felt unable to concentrate well and was having problems typing.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, February 7th, 2012 at 23:34 and is filed under Health. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.Both comments and pings are currently closed.

February 8th, 2012 at 00:05
Bill Heyman Says:

Jodi and I are sending good thoughts and prayers your way!

February 8th, 2012 at 01:59
Doug Colt Says:

Jake, best of luck to you and Linda! Pulling for you both, and hope that this is only a minor setback!! Godspeed!

February 8th, 2012 at 08:12

He is in the right place to put his feet back on the road to feeling better. The hydration alone will make a huge difference, and the blood products will make him feel even better. I know he has been so lucky to avoid these “side effect” trips to the hospital up until now….but it is all about getting through this and making it to the other side. Thank you for letting us know. Big hugs! Love you guys!

February 8th, 2012 at 09:36
Rolf Says:

May the Supreme Being put His healing hands on Jake and, thru the MGH staff, bring him back on his feet and forward for those moving plans and return soon to the island. Prayers with you, Linda

February 8th, 2012 at 11:43
Glen Reem Says:

Fingers and all other ‘workable’ appendages crossed.

February 8th, 2012 at 12:42
Kelly Baum Says:

Thank you for the update, Linda. I’m sure it’s just a minor setback, and as LaDonna said, he will start feeling better soon with the IVs and blood. It is so frustrating being so far away from you and wanting to be there just to sit quitely beside you, giving you all my strength. Please know that I am there with you in spirit. Love and prayers.

February 8th, 2012 at 12:51
Laura R. Says:

Jake and Linda,

Please let me know if I can help in any way — I am not too far away. Looking forward to hearing you are home soon. Linda, don’t forget to take care of yourself, too. Looking forward to hearing you are home soon,
Laura

February 8th, 2012 at 20:42

Hugs and prayers for you all and for all the drs and health care providers helping…
<3 Denise and Teddy
and, Jake, the classes will still be there when you are ready

February 8th, 2012 at 20:48
Todd Klukow Says:

Sounds like Jake is in good hands. I agree, the hydration and whole blood will greatly help. Focus on recovery will occupy Jake’s time, classes can be completed later, besides, how would the rest of the students feel if they were being outdone by some dude with cancer. All of you are in my thoughts and prayers, with copious amounts of yoga love headed your way everyday. Looking forward to heading to Gloria’s when you are back traveling.

February 9th, 2012 at 18:47

best care best friends best thoughts…positive expectations…be well Linda and team Jake

February 15th, 2012 at 02:09
Annette Says:

Blessings on the whole family. Your courage is inspiring and your love for each other is heartwarming. It’s at times like these, that the important things come to the forefront of our lives (I speak from experience).

I happened upon your blog from a totally unrelated google search. I’m so glad I did. I want to say something you may already know. But it doesn’t hurt to be reminded of the good stuff every now and then. Dear Jake, Dear Linda, you are loved. The act that demonstrated this love is recorded in John 3:16.

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”

It’s real. It’s now. It’s free. “…the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our lord.” (Romans 6:23)

My well wishes are with you and your family.

All the best,
your friend,
Annette

March 4th, 2012 at 11:38
Margreth Says:

This sunday just thinking of you. Big hugs and love.
Jan & Margreth