Back in The Saddle Again (sort of)   February 17th, 2012

So, after entering the hospital via the emergency room on Tuesday, February 7th, via the emergency room to wait for an in patient bed, I had been out of hospital since Valentine’s Day. Interestingly my hospital stay diagnosis listed my condition as “failure to thrive” (which is a condition typically associated with infants and small children). In my case, the problem was that despite the best efforts of my wife I was unable to get myself to consume food, and thus not getting enough nutrition. How ironic that a foodie like me (http://www.foodiemoment.com) could almost die of starvation? And part of the reason for that was the swelling of the brain tumors that formed after my brain radiation in December. It’s definitely good to be back in my own space after being in the hospital, the private room I had was very nice, but not very restful. I am now under the daily visitation of a nurse from the hospital to make sure that my various statistics and vitals stay within range. One of the things that has gotten me back on board again was the consumption of a broad spectrum steroid to reduce the swelling in the brain, and one of the side effects is an increased appetite.

One of the things that I learned while I was in the hospital, was that a personal hero of mine Mike duGruy, had died in a tragic helicopter crash. Mike and I and Linda had spent hours at past conferences, discussing his exploits, like his being in the middle of a swarm of killer whales beaching themselves to capture seals, when he realized he was also wearing black neoprene, looking like a big seal himself, and Mike’s incredible cephalopod video footage, has been an inspiration. It was an honor to have known him – more about Mike can be found here: http://www.independent.com/news/2012/feb/15/mike-degruy-1951-2012/ and http://mikedegruy.com/

Tags: , ,
This entry was posted on Friday, February 17th, 2012 at 22:35 and is filed under Health. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.Both comments and pings are currently closed.

February 17th, 2012 at 23:03
Wallace Says:

Welcome back.

February 17th, 2012 at 23:22
Liz Says:

My dear friend…..

OMG…thoughts and prayers are with you. I didn’t know until recently that after my second round of chemo I ran a fever and Ed took me to the ER and they admitted me to a private corner room…how lovely! Only recently did Ed tell me that the doctors were preparing him, telling him I was severely septic and it could go either way, so I can empathize.
I’m glad you are home, it is so much better isn’t it and so sorry to hear about your friend. Our thoughts and prayers are with you daily. I will email you. Hugs, Ed and Liz

February 18th, 2012 at 00:22
Greta Anthony Says:

So glad you’re back and feeling better….and posting….and eating! We love you! BIG HUGS!

February 18th, 2012 at 00:43
Bill Heyman Says:

Wow! What a eventful (and scary) week in the hospital.

Eat well, my friend, eat well!

To NED!

Bill

February 18th, 2012 at 02:05
Michelle S Says:

Dear god man, I am SO glad you are getting better and are able to eat! That is scary!! You’re in our thoughts every day.

February 18th, 2012 at 06:45

Eat well and thrive, dear Jake!
Love and hugs,

February 18th, 2012 at 07:04
Rolf Says:

Seeing you posting again is a joy. Prayers continue Jake…

February 18th, 2012 at 08:54
colleen warshafsky Says:

Jake, for some reason I just thought about your wedding cake and standing there eating one profiterole after another, it was so good. Have a profiterole this weekend! Have several. Enjoy, glad to see you back in the saddle! xo Colleen

February 18th, 2012 at 10:23

Wonderful to see your post and hear your strength. My mind flashed to a scene from Rudolph the Red nose Reindeer movie when the elves were telling Santa to EAT!
Anything this Italian can whip up in the kitchen and send your way? Manga Jake,Manga! Love you guys, thank you for the update, Hugs to Linda and the kids.
Meryl and Steve

February 18th, 2012 at 10:53
Steve Smith Says:

Thanks for posting. Hope your appetite continues to improve. Very important to eat and thrive! Glad you’re in more comfy and peaceful surroundings. Rooting for a “chunky” Jake in the next weeks.

All the best you, Linda and kids.

-Steve

February 18th, 2012 at 13:06
Laura R Says:

It’s such a beautiful day today with spring feel despite the calendar’s insistence that it’s winter. I hope you are able to get outdoors for a moment, turn your face up to the sun, breathe the fresh air and imagine yourself months from now looking back at this moment and remembering it as the beginning of your wellness phase. I was so happy to see your post.

hugs, Laura

February 18th, 2012 at 13:17

Poseidon is back :-) :-) :-) :-):-) :-):-) :-):-) :-), a hello kitty and I’ll throw in a buttercup to boot.

Good to read strength in your post. I think of you daily my friend. I’m so sorry about your friend, such a great loss.

To NED. Hugs to Linda and the kids too.

Much love and healing vibes,

February 18th, 2012 at 13:34
Mike Drips Says:

Sounds like you are suffering from a variant of the Swedish syndrome, where people begin to identify with the food they’ve been eating, in your particular case, hospital Jell-o.
There’s not too much shame in suffering from this syndrome, but next time you get a big Johnson for hospital Jell-o, just visit a hospital cafeteria. No need for all of this excessive drama.
In other food news, I recently ate eggplant for the first time, prepared by my French (mom)/Italian(dad) fiancée. It was, uh, good, but I’m not what it’s purpose is. It is sort of the platypus of vegetables. It is a vegetable, isn’t it?
Hang in there Jake, and say hello to the guy who owns the island’s car. Does he drive the island’s ambulance as well?

February 18th, 2012 at 15:10

Jake, We are so happy to know you are back ‘home’, posting. And we are thanking all the powers that be that you are eating and feeling stronger.

We too are incredibly sorry to have lost Mike. We never got to meet him in person, but immensely enjoyed his work and his presentations at the Sea Rovers Film Festivals. What an amazing life he experienced. He certainly knew how to live, how to enjoy the wonders of the sea, and he did.

More hugs to you <3

February 18th, 2012 at 20:55
Nell Dennis Says:

Been thinking of you all this week, and hoping you are having a fun time tonight. Wishing you lots of good rest and nourishment. Love, Nell

February 18th, 2012 at 23:22
Dara Says:

So glad to see you thriving enough to post again! While Linda does a fine job keeping us up-to-date, it’s just not the same as hearing directly from you!!! Blasted cancer; blasted swelling! Hoping that the steroids eliminate the swelling and continue to boost your appetite! Snuggle into your new chair with something tasty, nutritious and calorie rich. I think Bill Cosby would recommend chocolate fudge cake ;-) I am so sorry for the tragic and untimely loss of your dear friend; I am glad you are able to remember him as a man who lived his life well. No greater accomplishment than that – to have lived well!
Thrive!

February 19th, 2012 at 02:02

It’s been a long couple of months here with my father’s illness and passing but I still have you in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong, I’m glad to hear that the steroids are helping. XXOO

February 19th, 2012 at 13:33
Joel Orr Says:

Hi, Jake! Although we haven’t spent a lot of time together, I’ve always liked and admired you. Thank you for sharing this very intense part of your journey! My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Love and blessings,
Joel

February 19th, 2012 at 22:18
Erin Waetjen Says:

Thanks for the update, glad you are back in more comfortable surroundings. Sending you hugs & nourishment!

February 21st, 2012 at 10:05
Nathalie Says:

Glad you’re again feeling strong enough to post and have re-discovered the joy of food.

We were also disheartened to read of Mike’s passing. He was a dynamic personality whose fascinating work enthralled us at past Sea Rovers film festivals.

Nathalie

February 25th, 2012 at 00:50
Sue & Jack F. Says:

Jake and Linda – Our thoughts are with you and I’m glad you are able to be home – I’m sure you are more comfortable. I hope you continue to “thrive”. I will continue to follow your posts and appreciate you keeping everyone updated – I look forward to meeting up with you and Linda again soon. Unfortunately, Jack and I are not able to help you move due to our current knee issues, but we’d love to stop by after you move and bring some take out, whatever you guys want. Again, I’ll continue to follow and post. Both of you take care and you are always in our thoughts.

February 26th, 2012 at 13:57
Tara Smith Says:

Ah! Jake to be home again among your family, bed and big chair!!! That’s some mighty strong medicine. Please give Linda yet another Thank You for taking the time to update us on your progress. And no offense meant to her participation, but it is nice to ‘see’ you in your own words. May every morsel be sweet.
Mike DuGruy was honored well here at his memorial service. He will be missed in our community.
Take care my friend and feel the power of the collective love!
Tara & Guy

February 28th, 2012 at 09:10
Pat and Mary Says:

jake, hope your appetite continues to improve. we think of you and your family every time we pass your house…and we say a prayer for all of you.

pat and mary

March 1st, 2012 at 18:55
Mark Danehy Says:

Hang in there! Glad to hear you are recovering.

Mark

March 3rd, 2012 at 12:04
Christina Reed Says:

Hi Jake
Must be nice to eat again. It must be a little more that just concerning when you cannot. Get a lot better very soon.

March 9th, 2012 at 10:42
Kim Says:

I hope that no news is once again, good news.