Still Moving…   March 9th, 2012

It was a beautiful day in Boston yesterday, not only because of the summer temperatures, but also because I was emancipated for the day. I got to spend the day getting Spa treatments to help heal my bruised and battered body. The reflexology I had was divine and I’m looking forward to when I can schedule myself for another similar treatment. Sadly, the air temperatures are now dropping again to wintertime norms, but are due to pick up and get warmer next week.

Our moving plans are still on – namely to finish packing the apartment on Friday, April 13, and then use a large U-Haul freight truck rented by Linda’s cousin Jeff in New Hampshire to cart all of our boxes, possessions and furniture up to Chester, New Hampshire. We have the freight elevator in our apartment building reserved from 1 PM to 5 PM on the 14th. Moving stuff around down in the garage where the freight elevator touches down is not the simplest of things, so we would expect to actually start physically moving things around by about noon time. We don’t believe we need to any extra vehicles to help us transport anything as the large U-Haul truck should be sufficient for all of our goods here in Boston, but we will more than likely need help loading the truck in Boston and unloading in Chester New Hampshire. We will also have a friend visiting from Holland joining us who will not have a vehicle of his own. And it’s likely that I will personally be next to useless in the move because my ability to lift things is severely restricted at this time. If you think you might be able to help us with the packing (dismantling Ikea Swedish torture ware) on Friday night and the actual move on Saturday, please send us an e-mail with your contact information. We will know how many people we have signed up on Saturday for the donut run.

On the personal health front, I had my third infusion of ipi two days ago and based on how slowly ipi works, there is no way to tell if the drug is having an impact in my system yet. This is why I have cautioned all friends and family to be aware that no news is good news. Which is also why, this is the first post in the last several weeks that I’ve made. Furthermore I don’t have the ability to be easily type without lots of spelling mistakes so I use dictation software to assist me with the process which makes responding to people’s e-mail very, very challenging and tedious. For example, it took me nearly 4 weeks to clear out my backlog of five weeks of e-mail, and I hesitate to jinx myself by saying that I am now caught up, after my hospital stay four weeks ago. If there were bad news of any sort then Linda could be counted upon to make a posting on the blog and if I was well enough I would do it myself, And failing that Krystyana could make the post it as well.

At the ipi appointment, Dr. Flaherty indicated that he would be like to have another brain MRI done to see if the swelling has gone down enough to reduce the steroid dosage. The MRI should take place in the next week or two but we don’t have a schedule yet. The doctor also noted my newly white eyebrows. He said that was a good sign that the ipi was working because it is affecting pigmentation which is also melanocytes.

I have been getting physical therapy from a visiting nurse several times per week to help strengthen my muscles which are in sore need of it. That has involved graduating from a walker to a cane within the apartment. Linda and Krystyana take turns leading me through my exercises a couple times per day.

Jake at dinner on Friday, March 9, 2012

Jake at dinner on Friday, March 9, 2012

Tags: ,
This entry was posted on Friday, March 9th, 2012 at 20:52 and is filed under Health. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.Both comments and pings are currently closed.

March 9th, 2012 at 20:58

so grateful to read your post and continue to have such positive expectations…

March 9th, 2012 at 20:58
Bill Heyman Says:

You’re looking great, sir! Keep on, keeping’ on! Destination: NED!

Bill & Jodi

March 9th, 2012 at 21:07

Thanks for the post Jake…your smile says volumes! Will do my best to get there and help with the move any way I can…xxooo

Steve and Meryl

March 9th, 2012 at 21:16
hannah Says:

To NED!

hannah

March 9th, 2012 at 21:39
RosAnne Says:

Jake, I’m happy to see you well enough to post and never ever stop thinking positive healing thoughts for you. Lovely smile by the way, I see it as a “screw you cancer, I’m gonna kick your butt”, kind of smile!” Keep on going strong my friend!

March 9th, 2012 at 21:39
Suzi Says:

Good to see you!! Good luck with the move – I wish I were nearby to help. Hugs from Bonaire – xoxoxo

March 9th, 2012 at 21:45
Judi Says:

Since you’ll be moving soon, the remark “keep on trucking, dude” seems appropriate. We’re all pulling for you Jake Good to see the smile again too!

March 9th, 2012 at 21:45
Kelly Says:

Damn nice to see you my friend !

March 9th, 2012 at 21:50

It’s wonderful to see your smiling, bearded face!!! I have a new Holtzapfel work bench parked in the middle of my livingroom and will touch wood on your behalf each time I pass by. I was wondering about a christening…..and it comes to me now – he’s meant to be called NED!!!! To you, my friend, and to NED!!!!

Love and hugs to each and every one of you!

March 9th, 2012 at 22:02
Dawn Spencer Says:

Jake, thanks for the update. I think you look great. Scott & I are heading to Bonaire on March 24th for two months. We are house sitting for Ann Phelan. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help :) More prayers continued…….

March 9th, 2012 at 22:38
Wallace Says:

Thanks for the update. You and your family are in my prayers.

March 9th, 2012 at 23:42
Pat Meier-Johnson Says:

It’s great to see your smile, and dare I say that white eyebrows sound very sexy. Keep being good to yourself and enjoying the laying on of hands that can be so healing. We’re sending you all kinds of positive energy and prayers. Keep up the good journey to wellness.

March 9th, 2012 at 23:45
JW Roth Says:

Hey Jake. Nice hat!! You are in our thoughts and prayers buddy. To NED!! JW

March 10th, 2012 at 00:02
Karen Says:

Hey guy, nice to see your smile!

March 10th, 2012 at 00:18
Ann Says:

Dear Jake,

So good to get your post today – thanks a world for your note to us all and for sending your picture! It is absolutely great to see your smile.

Love from us both,

Ann and Bill

March 10th, 2012 at 01:00
Corky and Sy Says:

Keep smiling Jake … we’re smiling just looking at your photo. The good thoughts and warm wishes keep flowing from our direction to you, Linda and the “kids.”

March 10th, 2012 at 01:02
Cheryl Says:

Good to see you up and around! Best of luck with the move!
Cheryl & Airey

March 10th, 2012 at 02:12

Good to see you and best wishes for a smooth move! Hugs!

March 10th, 2012 at 02:30
Evan Yares Says:

I keep watching my RSS, to hear how you’re doing. I’m glad that no news is good news. Might be fun to dye your eyebrows… maybe red?

March 10th, 2012 at 03:35
CaroleB Says:

Hmmm…looks like your computer is wearing horse race blinders! lol. Leave it to me to notice the strange/unimportant stuff. Nice to hear from you, again, Jake. Wish Joe & I could come help out but he would not be of much use with a metal shoulder and all. Spring in NH sounds wonderful! Hope you can get outside more with the better weather coming. Just being outside for a few minutes can be exhilarating. Be well. Hugs for you, Linda and the kids.

March 10th, 2012 at 03:36
Kitty Says:

Thank you for posting this update even though it does sounds like quite a challenge for you to do. A tender but energetic superhug & greetz!

March 10th, 2012 at 05:37
elaine sculley Says:

jake
thank u so much for the note. i appreciate u taking the time and much effort to keep us informed. many hugs and lots of prayers coming to u linda and krystyanna and bass. will be on island that week.
happy easter
hugs elaine
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

March 10th, 2012 at 08:04

Jake, you look wonderful. We are very happy to see the white eyebrows now that you have explained they are a possible positive sign :-) Thank you for the update.

Love seeing your smile. Love you, Linda, and Krystyanna and Bas.
<3 Hugs, To NED

March 10th, 2012 at 08:16

You’re more handsome than ever, Jake. Hugs and love from Bonaire to you all!

March 10th, 2012 at 08:47
Nell Says:

Thinking of you and sending lots of virtual hugs your way from all of the La Rosa clan.

March 10th, 2012 at 10:24
dad Says:

White eyebrows? Like father, like son ;-)

March 10th, 2012 at 10:54
Scott Says:

Got to keep moving….your smile brightened my day Jake :)

March 10th, 2012 at 11:05
Jenifer Herman Says:

Hi, Jake. So good to see your face again. Sounds like you have the right attitude. Hope your move goes well…suspect you’ll end up with more help than you could imagine.

Hugs, Jenifer (Crawford) Herman

March 10th, 2012 at 13:31
cynde Says:

So good to see your smile! Love the white eyebrows as well :-) I’m checking air fare, and if I can get a reasonable rate, I’m there! I can cart Martini around as well :) I’ll email you with the info per your request.

To NED!!!

Hugs and Love,

March 10th, 2012 at 13:38
Greta Anthony Says:

So good to hear from you, Jake! Even though you say, “no news is good news,” it’s awesome when I read a new update from you and see pics of your smiling face! I just want to reach through the screen and give you a hug. Keep fighting the good fight, my friend. You’re doing awesome! To NED!

We love you!

March 10th, 2012 at 13:49
Tara Smith Says:

Jake, your smile is just beautiful! Hell, I have white eyebrows – must be trendy.
Wishing you and the family a smooth move.
Thank you for the update.

To NED and beyond, always sending our love,
Guy & Tara

March 10th, 2012 at 14:33

great news!!!!! I will definitely be helping with the IKEA dismantling…..I just need to firm up times etc and if I should drive the truck down…..to the apt or the house etc.

I will send you an e-mail now :D

Hugs!

March 10th, 2012 at 15:01
Liz Says:

Wow! You look great! We so look forward to your posts. Wish we could help out, but recovering from surgery that went well. Hugs, thoughts and prayers with you guys!!! Will be thinking of you all on April 14…its my bday!!! Hugs and Love!!! Ed and Liz

March 10th, 2012 at 17:20
Pat and Mary Says:

nice hat jake…makes you look even younger than you are. great to get the update from you…prayers and healing vibes to you from both of us…

pat and mary

March 10th, 2012 at 18:57
Fancypants Says:

A long time since we spoke. Seven years maybe? Too long anyway.
Despite being a constant irritation to you with my sometimes (ok, often) juvenile attempts at humourous postings on your BT site, I hope you realise that I had great respect for you. I still do.
Get well soon.
Andy

March 11th, 2012 at 02:05

Wow Jake . . . even Fancypants has come out of hiding to wish you well. I saw the name and smiled. We talked with one of your Sea Rover friends tonight as well. I think his name is Marty. He too sends well wishes. I’ll email you regarding our helping with the move, as you requested.

<3 Denise

March 11th, 2012 at 12:44
David GElles Says:

Hey Jake,
Ali and I were just talking about you and sending you our love. We’ll be in New Hampshire this summer and would love to see you and Linda and the kids.
We’ll plan on seeing you then!
Best from here and much love –
David

March 11th, 2012 at 14:01

What can I say that would be different from what everyone else on here is saying? Nothing, so I’ll just say DITTO!!!!

March 12th, 2012 at 10:27
Lea Nichols Says:

I’m available to help with the move from Boston to Chester. Elsbeth expects to be in Switzerlnd at that time.

March 12th, 2012 at 10:59
Laura R Says:

Looks like many friends have been awaiting your update, myself included. AFAIK right now, I can offer my hands on assistance for the northern migration (friday night dismantle or post move boston cleanup–whatever). I’m so very happy that the forecast for today and the rest of the week is for warm and mostly sunny weather. I think the promise of spring and hope are timelessly intertwined and thus so very appropriate in your own path to moving forward. May the sun shine on and on….tty soon. Laura

March 13th, 2012 at 21:45
Todd Burdette Says:

Hi Jake, Great to see you smiling. You look thin but unflappable. I hope you find something that tickles your appetite. Keep fighting! Todd

March 16th, 2012 at 16:04
William Says:

Great to see you smile, sorry to hear about the TIL – I know how that goes. I just started BRAF+MEK and have had good results, FYI. I tried Marinol for nausea, also helped for appetite. Anyway – keep fighting.

March 18th, 2012 at 23:57
Margreth Says:

Just a hug, thinking of you and the family. Love Jan & Margreth

March 19th, 2012 at 20:56
Tracy Griffin Says:

We are still on the calendar for helping with the move, Saturday and Sunday. Phone 603-487-3407. I can help Linda UNpack as well Sunday if needed! Wishing you well – so glad to get your latest update. Hope you are enjoying the gorgeous weather out there this week!! Maybe some Vitamin D will help :)
Tracy (and Mike!)

March 19th, 2012 at 22:16

Hi Tracy,

Linda is still busy coordinating all the moving details.