The Move and After…No News is Good News   April 28th, 2012

From Krystyana…

Our move to Chester went quite smoothly and we send many thanks to those who helped.

Although we were filled with relief that the move was over and we had most furniture in its proper place, it was not to last because we soon found out that water was leaking in the basement from the septic system…at 10pm on a Saturday. We had to skip showers that night and there was much anguish over that, mostly from me. I was the lucky gal attempting to take the first shower when our houseguests hollered up about a lovely water feature they had found in the basement. Needless to say, the first order of business the next day was to find a plumber working on a Sunday. The plumber fixed the problem temporarily but told us we had to replace the septic outflow pipes and we were not allowed to flush any toilet paper or wipes until that was resolved. We had to wait a week and get quotes from plumbers to fix the various plumbing issues. It was decided by my mom that my dad would probably prefer being away from the house during the septic replacement as it would take a few days and possibly be loud and smelly. And so we stayed at a hotel for two nights with my dad in a room with a Jacuzzi tub and gas fireplace in it. Dad turtled in the tub and we had to call in Bas to help get him out of it. Thankfully, the whirlpool in the pool room worked out better and Dad could get in and out under his own power. Another issue that sprung up midweek was that our oven was not working properly, while in the attempt of cooking meat within it. And we are still working on getting a motor for the soft tub my parents ordered because the delivery people showed up with the correct sized tub but incorrect size motor.

Despite all that, my mom and I have unpacked and organized quite an impressive amount while installing various fixtures.

My dad had his PET/CT scans on April 18th in Chelsea and his doctor’s appointment was April 23rd in Boston. His doctor said tumor growth was on going but seeing my dad, he felt very positive about my dad’s progress. The doctor also had the amount of daily steroids reduced. My dad is doing a lot better in terms of his energy, speech, and reactions, from my point of view. He is eating more and making an effort to do so as well as making an effort to go out and exercise.

His next scans and doctors’ appointment will be in mid June and if his doctor clears him, we will be going to see the Arctic this summer to see the polar bears.

Tags: , , , ,
This entry was posted on Saturday, April 28th, 2012 at 18:12 and is filed under Family, Health. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.Both comments and pings are currently closed.

April 28th, 2012 at 19:08
cynde Says:

Krystyana, thanks for the update. I’ve been on pins and needles waiting to see the results of the scans. VERY GLAD the doc is pleased with your dad’s progress.

How long does it take the soft tub folks to get the right motor? Seriously, are they sending it via a slow boat from China?

I have to admit, that on Sunday and Monday, the fact that noone had showered was making me think of going out and getting some renuzits (just kidding). Glad the plumbing thing is fixed, now for the stove, hopefully that gets all settled soon.

How’s Slayer adjusting? Please give her hug from me :-)

It was a pleasure to see you all, move boxes and furniture, make food runs, and most importantly, break down boxes…I had my role :-)

For those of you that weren’t there for the move, Krystyana was our “team leader” in regard what goes, what is thrown away, and where stuff goes. The girl can make decisions!

Artic, here we come!

Hugs to you, Linda, most importantly Jake. Give a virtual hug to Bas, I think I scare him.

Love you all,

April 28th, 2012 at 19:19
Kathy Says:

My heart is with you all. Polar Bears? Waiting for those pics! xx

April 28th, 2012 at 19:54
Bill Heyman Says:

To polar bears! That’ll be a very cool trip!

I’m thrilled to hear about Jake’s progress. Thank you so much for the update.

April 28th, 2012 at 20:20

Krystyana, thank you so much for the update…and the detail….Dad turtled in the jacuzzi was quite the visual! ;-)
So glad to hear that the septic situation is fixed, whew!
And I hope your Dad continues to do well and you all get that much deserved trip to the Arctic!
Hugs from Alison and I for you all!

April 28th, 2012 at 20:23

yeah….the “water feature”…..how much fun was that?!?!? Thank goodness we were in the basement to catch it immediately instead of the next day! Glad to hear that is finally fixed! :D

Wonderful to hear about the scan results being within the parameters we were hoping for!

And I can vouch for the fact that Jake is eating better again! :D for me the scariest symptom ever!!!

hugs to everyone!

Love and miss you!!!

April 28th, 2012 at 20:25
pat and mary murphy Says:

why does it not surprise me that krystyana was the team leader for the move? thanks so much for the update. glad to hear the doctors are cautiously optimistic. you all continue to be in our prayers.

April 28th, 2012 at 20:39
Jenna Says:

Yay! Polar bears! I can’t wait to be jealous of you guys again. That trip sounds very cool.

April 28th, 2012 at 20:55

Krystyana, you write with such a maturity! Been too long since I’ve seen you I guess.

Your Dad and family are always in my healing thoughts.

April 28th, 2012 at 20:57

Thanks for the update Krystyana..moves are very difficult to begin with, glad all the plumbing is in order. We had some interesting septic problems in our last house and they always seem to happen on a weekend!
Please give your mom and dad a hug from us..and yes will be looking forward to the polar bear stories as well! Love you guys xo

Meryl and Steve

April 28th, 2012 at 23:57
Barry Baker Says:

Krystyana, thank you for the update. I sure do wish the best of luck to you and your parents, and yeah Bas also. Give your mom and Dad a hug from Sherry and I.

Aquaman and Bubbles
aka Barry and Sherry Baker

April 29th, 2012 at 00:10
Margreth Says:

Thank you Yana for the updat, apreciated it and glad to hear everything wokrs out for the family. Keep you eyes on the polar bears!!! Hugs and love Jan & Margreth

April 29th, 2012 at 00:32
Greta Anthony Says:

Thanks for the update Krystyana! Along with Cynde, I, too, have been on pins & needles. Glad to hear you all are getting settled in and the “old house” symptoms are on the mend. Also glad to hear your dad is doing better in terms of his appetite, energy and speech. We will continue our nightly prayer ritual for his healing and God’s grace for all of you! We love you! {{{HUGS}}}

Greta, Trent & Grant

April 29th, 2012 at 01:24
Tara Smith Says:

Thank you so much Krystyana. I so wish I could help to make things all better for you and your family.
To the Arctic and to NED

April 29th, 2012 at 02:21
Leslie Says:

gosh, moving is bad enough without additional drama. glad to hear that the bulk of that seems to be over.
here’s to seeing a polar bear named NED!

April 29th, 2012 at 04:13
Jarmila Richter Says:

Krystyana,

thank you so much for the information about your father. I am sorry hearing about the mess with the septic system and the oven that didn’t work. I will be happy to receive a note from you at any time. Love, oma Jarmila.

April 29th, 2012 at 07:18

Thanks Krstyana for posting….septic system issues are not nice…and $$. Enjoy the spring in NH. Keep us posted on your adventures and Dad’s healing..

April 29th, 2012 at 09:26
Nell Dennis Says:

Thanks for the update, Krystyana! I’ve been wondering how you all are doing. How exciting about the trip to the Arctic.

April 29th, 2012 at 11:07
Jean Says:

Thanks, Krystyana, for the detailed update on your move. I’m glad to hear your Dad is eating better, and I’m glad you have an awesome plan for a trip to the arctic this summer. Enjoy the spring beauty here in NH, meanwhile!

April 29th, 2012 at 11:15

Yana, you have inherited the family talent for vivid and compelling writing. Thanks so much!! To the Arctic, and to NED!
Love to all,

April 29th, 2012 at 11:26

Hi Krystana .. Thank you for the update. Cynde is right, you were an awesome ‘team leader’. We would have been lost with out you.
Cynde, scare Bas? Heck I was scared watching you with the booden.
Jake, it is good to hear the dr felt very positive about your progess. We now will expand our toast; to Ned, to the Arctic. Hugs <3

April 29th, 2012 at 12:25
Karen Lear Says:

Wow! Thanks for the update and for the positive attitudes you are all keeping during this journey! To the Arctic & NED!

April 30th, 2012 at 09:49
Cecil Berry Says:

Krystana thanks for the update and I for one was very impressed with your leadership skills during the move. You took charge and make things happen, a very impressive young lady.

To NED and the Artic…

April 30th, 2012 at 10:47
Laura R Says:

Krystyana,
It’s lovely to see you’ve inherited your parents skills in writing (yea!). Well, somewhere I missed the move memo but am nonetheless happy everyone is now somewhat settled. I, like many herein, have been anxiously awaiting the update on your dad’s health. I hope the spring weather will be kinder in the coming weeks as I am sure you are all craving the wonderful warm embrace that is Bonaire. Thanks for the update, hugs to you all.

Laura

April 30th, 2012 at 13:53
Jamie Says:

Thank you for the update – we have been thinking about all of you. Sending you all lots of love!

Jamie

May 1st, 2012 at 19:19
Rolf Says:

Unfortunately, China is probably the place these motors are coming from. Maybe that can change also in November ;)

Our heartfelt prayers continue to be sent…regularly…and often…from a couple old Bonaire lovers…who were sold on the island, to some extent, by Super Jake and Linda.

May 6th, 2012 at 19:46
Colleen Says:

Krystyana, thank you for the good news about your dad. Please tell him I said hello and give him a big hug!