Quick Update   May 9th, 2012

From Linda…

As you may know from the last blog entry, Jake’s daily intake of steriods was
reduced at his last doctor’s appointment. We had been warned that it might cause
some weakness and we should keep in touch with the doctor with any symptoms that
might develop. Jake has recently been feeling weaker and uncoordinated so we
contacted Dr. Flaherty today to see about raising Jake’s steriod level back up to
relieve the symptoms and get Jake moving better. The doctor readily agreed that
raising the steriods back up would be a good idea. It will likely take a couple days
to see some improvements.

Jake had tried acupuncture before and found some relief from cancer treatment side
effects but we had problems locating another practitioner in Boston when his moved
away. Now that we are in Chester, Linda found an acupuncturist in nearby Hampstead.
Jake has had a couple treatments so far and is looking forward to more at the
Merrimack Valley Acupuncture. Jake has also had some reflexology massages at spa as
well as nightly leg massages from Linda to get some relief from lymphademia in his
right leg (a side effect from lymphadectomy surgery a year ago).

Our Softub spa is finally up and running with the last part, the bench surround,
arriving today. We still have not convinced Bas to give it a try, although the rest
of us have had a dip or two.

As promised, Jake has increased his daily PT in preparation for traveling. Krystyana
and Linda take turns running him through his exercises 2-3 times per day. Our travel
plans take us to Minneapolis, Indianapolis (and Columbus), and ending in Cincinnati
during the second half of May.

Tags: , , , ,
This entry was posted on Wednesday, May 9th, 2012 at 19:02 and is filed under Health. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.Both comments and pings are currently closed.

May 9th, 2012 at 20:12

Linda and Jake, thank you for the update.
Glad to hear the move to NH brought you to finding an acupuncture practitioner.
Enjoy the PT and exercising(?) and the soft tub :-) Bas, give it a try !! Also, good to hear the Traveling Richters will be traveling shortly! .. hugs

May 9th, 2012 at 22:26
Liz and Ed Says:

Thanks for the update! So glad the move went seemingly well! I hope you all enjoy the tub! So glad Jake is managing, and it seems the whole family is doing well. Loves and Hugs to you all!

May 10th, 2012 at 00:23

Linda, thanks for the update and I’m glad the Dr. is receptive to increasing the steroid dose again….ah a spa! Nice! Have a wonderful trip! Hugs to you all!

May 10th, 2012 at 05:02
Kitty Says:

Thanks for the updates, Linda & Krystyana, and have a nice trip, Richter family!
Wishing you all well – love & hugs,
Kitty (visiting Bonaire over the (long) weekend)

May 10th, 2012 at 06:03
Martin Says:

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the update! Good to hear Jake is doing better. I think Angela and I need to pay you a visit soon to test the hot tub. :)

Safe travels,

Martin

May 10th, 2012 at 09:40

The prospect of your next trip must be a terrific motivator for doing the pt. Enjoy the travel!
Hugs and love,

May 10th, 2012 at 15:16
Ann Dederer Says:

Hi Jake, Libda, Krystyana, and Bas,

Soak away! It sounds soothing and relaxing! Glad you’re settling in Chester with the move behind you. We hope Slayer is adjusting to her new digs too! Thinking of you all. Thanks so much for your posts, we’re thinking of you all.

Love and hugs,

Ann and Bill

May 10th, 2012 at 17:44

The hot tub is really nice, but until my strength returns, it is difficult to use. I keep on getting stuck like a turtle on my back.

May 14th, 2012 at 02:32
Tara Smith Says:

Always feels like a warm hug to read your updates. I only hope that you can feel my reciprocal hugs coming back to all of you!
I’m with Bas and not much of a hot tub fan but I keep a favorite rocking chair next to ours so that I can hang out while Guy soaks for an hour or so.
Happy Mothers Day (albeit it belated) to you Linda.
Much love to all of the Soon to be Traveling Richters!
Tara & Guy

May 14th, 2012 at 07:05

Jake for what it’s worth I wonder since you are exploring eastern medicine had you looked at Ayurvedic? I did a 2 week cleanse and felt amazing…be well…

May 14th, 2012 at 10:21

Linda, thanks for the update. Glad the spa finally got all hooked up, but not glad that it’s difficult for you to use Jake, I shall not ask for a “turtle” picture. I’m also glad that the doc upped the steroids so you have more strength. Keep the goal of NED, and keep fighting the fight my friend. I think of you every day when I look at my “Cancer Sucks” bracelet!

Don’t worry about Bas not going in. When we got our hot tub, Dylon refused to get in, and to this day has still not tried it out….heh heh….

Hugs and love to you all,

May 14th, 2012 at 11:07
Pat and Mary Says:

glad to hear you are all up for the trip. i’m sure you’ll enjoy it. let us know when you are in cincinnati…i’d love to take a ride down and see you…it’s less than four hours from here…just a mere stretch of the legs. email when you know the dates and i’ll get you our phone numbers.

pat and mary.

May 14th, 2012 at 12:26
Greta Anthony Says:

Thanks for the update, Linda! I’m with Tara…the updates are like warm hugs. I, too, hope you can feel our hugs to all of you in return. The spa sounds wonderful and I hope the increased steroids will help make it easier for you to get in and use it, Jake. Have fun on your upper-midwest adventures and we look forward to an update from the Traveling Richters!

Much love and many hugs to everyone!

Greta

May 14th, 2012 at 12:37
Barbara Gibson Says:

as someone who got to know you through your Front Gate Cam, I follow these updates and send you daily good wishes, Richter family. Wishing you many more travelling adventures!