Settled in Hospice   May 24th, 2012

from Linda

We moved Jake as planned this morning at 11am. The hospice coordinator worked some magic and our insurance coverage was cleared in just a couple hours.

Jake is at:

Community Hospice House

210 Naticook Rd

Merrimack, NH 03054

room 109, Please do not call Jake on the phone as this is stressful for him to answer it. Family or those visiting can call the main number and speak with the staff 603-595-5688.

Many people have asked what they could bring or send us. Jake still loves his food but just much less of it in terms of volume. Another thing Jake had hopes do was starting something he called 10 Days Left. It is not about dying but about what would you share with the world ,your family, etc if you knew that was all the time in the world you had left. I hope I have phrased it right. He wanted to know  the important lesson of life, things that have made a huge impact but might have seemed unimportant at the time. We’ve had a lot of these discussions lately and maybe when I’m less weepy I can share some with you all. Needless to say , we’ve had little regrets about all our traveling and eating adventures :-)

Hugs to all that need them, Linda

Tags:
This entry was posted on Thursday, May 24th, 2012 at 18:02 and is filed under Family, Health, Renaissance Guys & Gals. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.Both comments and pings are currently closed.

May 25th, 2012 at 15:39

Jake, I could probably do this better with more thought, edits, etc, but let my first thoughts be the most sincere.

My 10 days message to those I love <3
Live each moment
. . . work to live, not live to work
. . . . work at something you enjoy and can be proud of and
. . . . . change what you work at, often.
Cherish, enjoy, do whatever you need to do to enjoy each moment and to help those you love to enjoy as well.
Make each moment happy, peaceful, loving.
Time judging, negative, making misery, will only make yourself miserable and wastes your time and energy.
Swim with the critters of the sea, lay in the green grass watching clouds fly by, sink your toes in the sand, shovel snow, taste the rain, dance, laugh and smile alot.
Surround yourself with family.
Make your friends your family.
Teach your children all this when they are very young.
Let the people you admire, care about, love, know how you feel, often, in words and actions.
Hug often, sincerely.
Hug like Jake.

Jake, I still can not accept. You are always in our hearts.

May 25th, 2012 at 15:56
Jim Carlton Says:

Jake, it has been many years since we shared a beer together, but in many ways it seems like only yesterday as I’ve been able to follow you through the Richter Scale, The Traveling Richters, Bits are Cheap, Jake’s Take, etc. Yours has truly been a life well lived and one where you have clearly taken the path less traveled. I wish the very best for Linda, Krystyana, and Sebastian as they carry on the journey.

As I try to absorb the news, I am only now truly appreciating the exemplary path you’ve created for your family–and the rest of us–to follow. The world is a far better place for you being in it, and that you have shared such an amazing picture of how to live life with your children has made it even better. I can only aspire to your shining example.

Thank you, my friend, for simply being you and for being willing to share that with all of us.

-=> Jim

May 25th, 2012 at 20:08
Francey & Eky Allee Says:

Thank you for the update Linda. You are all in our thoughts and prayers. Jake you an amazing man and your family is blessed to have you in their lives. You have touched our lives.
Strenth, Love and Hugs to all of you.

Francey & Eky

May 25th, 2012 at 23:45
Marion Wilson Says:

Linda – don’t just weep – scream from the mountain tops – as I have just done here in Bonaire!! I can’t belive this!

I just wish you and your family the strength and courage to get through this.

Marion

May 26th, 2012 at 00:34
Rick Quarti Says:

Linda,

It was great to visit today. If you plan a BBQ, contact me. I can man he grill… (I have Argentine roots and we know Beef!)

God Bless,
Rick

May 26th, 2012 at 12:04
Judi Says:

Jake & Linda
Your candor, strength and giving attitudes have already impacted the lives of all of us who have been fortunate enough to know you. You will always be cherished and loved for your strength and humanity. Laugh when you can’t think of anything else to do. It’s the best reliever for anything and everything the world throws at you!

May 26th, 2012 at 17:54
Lisa Wendler Says:

Jake, even as you face the end of your journey here, you generously think to challenge those of us who may have more than “10 days left”. Jake, I am listening. Thank you.

May 26th, 2012 at 20:20
Carrie F. Says:

Jake and Linda,

I only worked with you for a short time but you guys had a big impact on my life. You seemed to have it figured out – life, work, love – and I admired it and wanted it for my own life.

Your illness has made it so clear to me that life is too short to dwell on the little things. “Carpe diem”, “live for today”, and all the rest. Finding a balance between this and the real world is a challenge, but I’m working on it.

My best to all of you. This is a heartbreaking turn of events.

May 27th, 2012 at 13:26
Eric Dowling Says:

I think you already did a good job and lived life to the fullest while you had the health. You have a nice family and were a good father and husband and business partner and person in general. The last 10 days you do not have the health you had while you took advantage of it while you had it. You already lived the 10 days to the fullest. Just they were not the last ten days. Try to think instead of the best ten days you had in your life already.

Wherever you are heading, I hope to see you there, because I am sure you are going to a good place. One thing that is inevitable is we will all pass from the living to the other side. Perhaps in a white suit escorted by two angels wearing black suits and ties, heading to a destination with a purpose, looking good, in perfect health.

May 27th, 2012 at 20:03

Dad, thankyou so very very much for sharing the videos <3

May 29th, 2012 at 11:19
Darlene Ellis Says:

If I had ten days left, I wouldn’t do anything differently than I do now. Life is too short and we never know when it will be our time so I try my best to stay in the moment and not dwell on what could have been. I enjoy my friends and family and help out when I can. I share my life’s lessons with others in hopes that I may say something that may help those in need. I find joy when there is sadness. Some one once said that I look at the world through Rose Colored Glasses and they were right! I take each day as a gift and find all the goodness that that day has to give! Some days are tougher than others but I will look for that ray of sunshine that pops through the clouds. When I lost my twenty two year old daughter, I kept her alive in my heart through all the memories that we had together. I may not be able to hug her in person but I can feel a hug from her when I think of the memories we had together. When I need an extra hug, I put on one of her sweatshirts that I had kept and it gives me that warm fuzzy feeling.

Speaking of hugs…. Jake gives the best hugs ever!!! I treasure each and everyone of them that I have received over the years!!Denise said I was one of your biggest fans and she is absolutely right! I have always admired all of your accomplishments but most of all I admired the love that shined through with your family no matter where you were. When we went to the Aquarium you were looking at an exhibit and there was a Richter family group hug. When we sailed on Woodwind there was another group hug. It is just beautiful this day and age to see such closeness!

I will never forget our Thanksgiving Dinner and it was in September during 9/11. Linda was in the states and it was my first solo trip to Bonaire. It was horrifying to be away from my family when we got the news of 9/11. I called Jake to make sure he was doing ok and he intern invited myself and two friends over to visit. It was like being at home and eased some of the pain of being away from our families at such a horrible time. As we were all getting dinner ready we were tripping over dogs and playing with Bas and Yana. Yana, remember I did a ballet dance with your pink tu tu?? You brought a little bit of home to me that day!

Ota, thanks so much for posting the videos of Jake and family. It brought warm smiles. It was a beautiful tribute to your son and family!

Love you guys!!Darlene

June 16th, 2012 at 00:08
fahim aftab Says:

Yesterday I found out from Bob about Jake’s death, and it just broke my heart. I had never met Jake in person but I had known him in a professional capacity for the last five years, he was very knowledgeable, honest and always a pleasure to talk to.