Calmer and Visits with Friends   May 26th, 2012

from Linda

Only a short note today, the hospice was a good move. We all slept better knowing Jake was there and being well taken care of. And most important, Jake slept better.

Friends have started dropping by for short visits and long. Jake, my social butterfly, my cruise director of life, brightened up and enjoyed himself immensely catching up with all, drinking a toast, sharing a meal, and even enjoying music and song. I think a total of eight visitors today. We bought Jake a guest book to remember these moments.

Although Jake has not been reading all the blog comments or Facebook posts, I have been sharing with him all the people’s names and shown him the photos from the past. We had the smiling weepies a dozen times but that is all good. Jake is feeling the love and so are the kids and I. Thank you for the reminders of so many amazingly great times we have had together.

Tags: ,
This entry was posted on Saturday, May 26th, 2012 at 01:26 and is filed under Family, Health. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.Both comments and pings are currently closed.

May 26th, 2012 at 03:36
Niki and Bob Says:

Dear Linda and Jake and Krystyana and Bas,
Re: the first day at the hospice: Ahh. That sounds good. Reminds me of when my Dad greeted people in the last days of his fight with pancreatic cancer. He held court as his friends came and reminisced and said goodbye. It was pretty sweet overall. I kept some records of who and what and it’s a treasure to look back on. I think I can imagine how incredible and overwhelming it is for you. I’m heartened by world-wide travel bringing the dear ones to your side. Love and hugs, Niki
P.S. Philosophy of My Last 10 Days? Still pondering. Main ideas: Cultivate an open mind and open heart. Savor the details. Share the curiosity and the appreciation. Stuff like that.

May 26th, 2012 at 10:19
Tara Smith Says:

Much love to you all. *a toast to a life well lived, well loved, well learned.

I have always been in awe of you, Jake; your immense capacity to master every subject. Though I will never be the master that you are, because of your passion for sharing your journeys, I will always follow my curiosity and never stop learning. I hope I can pass on that same lesson. I’ve had a great role model.
Here’s to you!

May 26th, 2012 at 10:32

To Krystyana and Bas…..loved watching you grow up..our times together was always (if you recall) around food..LOL…Bas, the amount of food you and Dad consumed at 647 Tremont blew Maggie and I away..let’s meet again for a food event with Mom sometime. Give Dad a HUGE hug from Ann and Evelyn and Maggie too…Enjoy family love…

May 26th, 2012 at 10:39
Gail Thomas Says:

Good morning Richter family. Thinking of you all, as usual. Wishing you a good day today!

May 26th, 2012 at 10:46
karin Says:

Enjoy these precious times! Good to hear about the visits, so many people thinking about your family. Stay strong, hugs!

May 26th, 2012 at 10:48
Elvira Says:

Buenos Dias from Ecuador!! I have always been amaze at what the Richter family do (travels, art, diving, helping) and most of all the education you have given Krystyana and Bas with all the travels and experiences they have had!. Give a hug to Jake.

May 26th, 2012 at 11:00
Pat and Mary Says:

hospice is a really good thing. when my dad went through it they were so supportive of him and helped our family immensely. his one hospice nurse, shirley, knew how to make us all laugh and feel better. linda, krystyana, bas, please take comfort in knowing how many lives jake has touched in such a positive way. we’ve been following the blog, especially the last week, and are amazed at the support and words of love from all over the world. actually, in one way it’s amazing…but then i realize, “hey, this is jake and the richters we’re talking about” and understand what it’s like to be loved and admired by so many people who have been affected by all of you. we love you all.

pat and mary

May 26th, 2012 at 11:32
Henk Roozendaal Says:

Jake: we’re shocked to hear you’ve started your last trip. Incredible. We’re talking about it, thinking about you and Linda and the kids. We know you creative people for a long time. We’ve never been very close, but we feel nearby and wish you all the strength and braveness you need.
Henk, Herma & Boy

May 26th, 2012 at 11:34
Susan Says:

We haven’t been as close as many of the others posting here and so, though I’ve been following your fight i’ve not commented before. I need to now – I am in awe of you and your family. Hugs to you all.

May 26th, 2012 at 11:47
Ginny Stokes Says:

I’ve been following your blog for several months, and remembering the wonderful times on Bonaire. We didn’t know you well, but your whole family was so welcoming and warm, we felt like instant friends. We brought cookies to you when the webcam was at your front door, and you invited our group to dive in your “backyard.” Thanks for so many wonderful times and memories. Your current journey is one we will all face eventually, and you are setting such an example of strength and grace.
Ginny and Rollie Stokes

May 26th, 2012 at 11:49
Carole Says:

So glad to see that everyone was able to get some well needed rest last nite. Wish Joe & I could pop in to see ya’ll but Joe is in VA now where his sister just underwent serious surgical procedure. She is doing well, thank goodness. Whenever I buy a new electronic “toy” I think of Jake…he just pops into my mind as I know he loves his “toys”, too. Just picked up a new tablet. I will nickname it Jake! I wish these typed words could measure the love and thankfulness we all feel for your family. Love is the key. Love is the answer. Peace. Carole & Joe

May 26th, 2012 at 12:39
Karen Says:

Glad you all had a peaceful night… We went in and re-read your blogs in “The Traveling Richters” what an incredible life you and your family have had together! How nice to share your adventures with us! Thank you for your knowledge of just about everything…we have learned so much from you! You are an amazing person and we are proud to call you our friend! You are the reason we now have so many friends that all share the same interest in Bonaire. Love, hugs and peace my friend!
Karen and Roger

May 26th, 2012 at 13:24

Just want to wish you guys a Happy Memorial Day as you are my heros too! Glad last evening was restful for you all, well deserved I’m sure. Hospice is such a wonderful group of careing people, you are in good hands. Thanks for posting Linda, love you xo.
Meryl and Steve

May 26th, 2012 at 15:48
Rachel Hill Says:

Hi Jake, Linda, Bas, and Krystyana. My name is Rachel and my husband, Kevin is battling melanoma as well. He was diagnosed last fall and I stumbled upon your blog fairly recently when doing research on interferon (he has finished his high dose phase and is in the first month of the year long maintenance phase). We live in Atlanta with our two young children, enjoy travel and trying new foods, and plan to homeschool. I have never met any of you, but feel a kinship as we are a family of tech nerds, and I am a photographer, have owned several online businesses, etc.

My husband has found great comfort in reading some of Jake’s earlier posts with such excellent details about his treatment. Please know that all of the data he shared so openly has been a valuable resource to us.

Every situation is different, and I wish that yours was not as it is, but as a previous commenter said, Jake you are embarking on your latest and greatest adventure. I will continue saying prayers for you and your family and wish you the best in this life and the next.

May 26th, 2012 at 16:05

<3 <3 <3 to Jake, and <3 and hugs to you all Jake, Linda, Krystyana and Bas

May 26th, 2012 at 17:22
elaine sculley Says:

good morning all

jake i am so glad u had a peaceful night. linda,krystiana and bas glad u were able to rest. big hugs and prayers coming ur way.

May 26th, 2012 at 17:32
Jessica F Merz Says:

May these days continue to be filled with love. Xo

May 26th, 2012 at 17:58
Todd Klukow Says:

Glad Jake is settled in hospice. I have not doubt he remains every bit the social butterfly that I know and love so much. I am encouraged that all the work Jake did to raise awareness of his journey with melanoma will make it easier for those unfortunate enough to travel down that road, much like Rachel’s husband. I thought about a quick trip out to visit, but decided against it, thinking this is time family and close friends should use to reveal in Jake’s treasure trove of wisdom and memories. Regardless, all of you are never far from my thoughts and always in prayers.

May 26th, 2012 at 19:35
Niki and Bob Says:

I’ve been posting pictures on my facebook page for you to see. I will make them visible to the public too. Ed and Liz, take note. Also, Daniel S.
Hope this day is going well too.
Niki

May 26th, 2012 at 21:35
Giby,Emma and Family Says:

Hi Jake

It’s a difficult moment for you and us.Hope the good Lord still can do a miracle and heal you. We wish you strength in this moments, Linda to you and the kids also lots of faith. Please pray a lot that will give you strength and hope.. We are praying for you to.. Our greetings to all of you.. Love you very much..

Gibi, Emma, David, Marilyne, Christina, family and friends here in Bonaire …

May 26th, 2012 at 22:27
Ann Dederer Says:

Hi Jake, Linda, Krystyana and Bas,

So happy to hear about your day with friends and sharing such loving and heartfelt memories together. We are sending our smiles and hugs your way and thinking of you all.

Love Ann and Bill

May 26th, 2012 at 23:04
Patty Says:

I am totally “awed” by the numerous posts and tributes to you, Jake, and your family. I heard so much about you and had the privlidge of doing a clean up dive with you and Bas on a Yellow Sub adventure 4 or so years ago. It was great. Good memories…..

May 27th, 2012 at 01:15
Janet & Keith Mitchell in Vancouver Says:

OK–since meeting you guys in Cancun (how many years ago?) we’ve been in awe of what you’ve been able to do. You guys are our heros! I wish we had the courage to do all that you have. Jake has lived the lives of I don’t know how many of us. For all four of us, you guys will always be our inspiration. And if you ever want to visit us up here in the in Great White North- just howl. Your Mitchell/Club Med fans- Janet, Keith and the kids, Colin and Michael

May 27th, 2012 at 13:40
Natalie & Bruce Kossuth Says:

Dear Jake, Linda, Krystyana & Bas,
Your message “Polar bears?” was joyfully received. The last posts were tearfully read. We’ve enjoyed some great adventures with you. You are always in our thoughts and in our hearts.
Love and hugs,
Natalaie & Bruce

May 27th, 2012 at 22:31
Judy Workman Says:

Lovingly keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. It just wasn’t the same in Bonaire without you there. You’ll always be with us whether you are in Bonaire or not. Those precious visits are such a great blessing; our hugs and love to you all.