Nearing the End   May 30th, 2012

from Linda

We wait, we make him comfortable. He was alert briefly this morning and knew I was there. Since then, they have started him on a pain reliever infusion because he cannot swallow as he must. So the end is near but still unknown.

Bas has fallen asleep in my lap as we share some quiet time together while Martin and Krystyana are out getting more Coke Zero to sustain us.

Tags:
This entry was posted on Wednesday, May 30th, 2012 at 15:56 and is filed under Family. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.Both comments and pings are currently closed.

May 30th, 2012 at 18:58
Michelle Says:

Linda,
Words cannot express the depth of sorrow I feel for you, Yana and Bas. Jake is singularly one of the most giving, funny, intelligent, loving, savvy, and amazing people we have ever had the blessings to know. At his invitation, you all have graced our lives. Your gifts to us of BT, the webcams, your Art, photographs, blogs, and the calendars served as reminders that joy, peace, tranquility and friendship always exist, no matter what else is happening at that moment.
I have never told you this part. You see I’ve been keeping the calendar by my desk at work. It’s a tool I use each day to both remind me to be positive and keep all things in perspective and to stay motivated; I use the calendar to track each day that I exercise. Staying in good cardiovascular health means that whenever I get the treat of another SCUBA vacation, I’m more efficient with my air and get more underwater time!
When I was deployed oversees, it was sometimes too easy to be shortsighted and engrossed in the reality of military operations and life on the Forward Operating Base. Each morning, I would visit BT to peruse the days humor and each night, I’d watch the mid-day webcam, thinking of my husband, my dive buddy, and reminding me of the world’s magnificence and beauty.
I had always wanted to SCUBA dive. You and Jake gave us the opportunity to turn it into a hobby, a lifestyle and to become a part of your community of friends.
Jake, you, Katyana and Bas have been gracious beacons of joy and caring, and for your friendship, I am blessed and grateful.
I cannot begin to comprehend your feelings at this time. We are crying with you, keeping you in our thoughts and prayers, and sending our love to you. Let us know if there is anything we can do for you, and we hope that you will allow us to continue to be a part of your circle of friends.

Michelle, Leif, Soren and Kira

May 30th, 2012 at 19:03
Greta Anthony Says:

Jake, we want to keep you here on this earth but God must need a really good internet guru. Go be our tech angel! We love you my dear sweet friend!

Linda, Krystyana and Bas, may the Lord bless you and keep you. I’m so glad I was able to be there. Thank you so much for sharing your husband/father and allowing others to visit with Jake during this difficult time. I pray that you all find comfort and peace in the days, weeks, months, and years to come. I will pray that God wraps you in His love and comforts you with His calming hands. Hugs and much love to each of you.

Greta

May 30th, 2012 at 19:13
Jessica F Merz Says:

Love, love and more love, Linda. Xoxo

May 30th, 2012 at 19:20
Barbara Gibson Says:

All, all my love and good thoughts…

May 30th, 2012 at 19:31
Laura R. Says:

If only…
If only it could be different
If only we could go back a few months or years
and laugh some more, explore some more, hug some more
but only if…
only if the memories remained
only if the travelers adventures were unchanged
and that learned and those beloved never lessened
and suddenly
only ifs triumph, the if only’s….fade away

May 30th, 2012 at 19:35

I am sure there are more elequent words that I could express here…that could comfort you all; as I wish I could ..but all I have is two…Thank you.

May 30th, 2012 at 19:40
Donna Says:

Praying for all of you…

May 30th, 2012 at 19:42
Josie Estill Says:

Nothing I can think to say, except ta-ta, (as they say in Jolly Old…) dear friend! You will always be remembered and loved. Thank you for what you’ve given to the world.

Linda, Bas, Krystiana, hugs always.

May 30th, 2012 at 19:58
Elvira Says:

Peace and strength,all of you are in my thoughts.

May 30th, 2012 at 20:09
chosun Says:

JAKE,

life is keen and so very colorful,

You have shown us.

Love of Life is so very strong,

You have shown us.

We as one, are weak,

But with you we grow strong.

You are life enveloped in a beautiful man.

Forever and Forever

May 30th, 2012 at 20:10
chosun Says:

Love & Peace

May 30th, 2012 at 20:44
Bob Gibson Says:

You are in our thoughts and prayers. Jake is a good man. He will be missed.

Bob and Barbe

May 30th, 2012 at 20:59
Jessica Says:

Thinking of you, and praying for you all. (One of his apheresis nurses.)

May 30th, 2012 at 21:06
Maggie & Rich Fuller Says:

Dear Linda,
We were so blessed by your family when living on Bonaire. We were always welcomed into your home. You and Jake were so sweet to ‘hire’ our daughter, Erica, as a babysitter. Jake was so kind to set up a web page for us and we used it for many years. We have several of Jake’s photos and your paintings in our home here in NJ. We are ever thankful for them.
Please know we are praying that Jesus may give you peace in the midst of this. May this verse which are His words and have been a comfort to me do the same for you and your children …”Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you. I do not give as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” (John 14:27)
With sincerest thoughts and blessings, Maggie and Rich Fuller

May 30th, 2012 at 21:14
Jean Says:

Love and Peace…

May 30th, 2012 at 21:26
Bas Noij Says:

Jake, Linda, Bas and Yana, I am thinking of you guys all day long. It is unbelievable that you find the strength to keep us updated in these hard hard times. I’ll be sending warm and positive thoughts to Jake and all of you!!! Bas Noij.

May 30th, 2012 at 21:31
Marion Wilson Says:

Linda – I cannot even begin to understand or even sympathise with what you have been going through and what you certainly are going through now – but I can certainly empathise (Jake would love the difference!)

My thoughts and prayers are with you all – may your God give you all the strength to get through this.. Can’t write any more, too emotional and too many tears to see the key board. Love Marion, Bonaire.

May 30th, 2012 at 21:32
randl Says:

Peace be with you on this last journey. I never knew you but you have brought much to my life. Looking at this remarkable outpouring of love and affection, there are many who feel the same way.

Roger Kahn

May 30th, 2012 at 21:37
Jackie Knapp Burt Says:

Jake – my deepest thoughts are with you and your family. I lost my dear uncle to melanoma many years ago – and like him, you have fought a brave fight. It goes without saying, but I’ll say it anyway — I feel honored to have known you and will forever cherish the many things you taught me over the few years that we worked together…from wines, to sweetbreads (although I wasn’t brave enough to taste them), to the art of tea. Thank you for everything and we are thinking of you.

Lots of hugs,
Jackie

May 30th, 2012 at 21:52
Roger and Karin Haug Says:

Our thoughts are with you Jake,Linda and kids.
We wish you a lot of strength
Roger and Karin Haug from Bonaire

May 30th, 2012 at 22:07
Giby,Emma and Family Says:

Hallo Linda You and Jake and the kids are in are prayers right now..It’s hard for use because we wanna be there to seaport you all…Tell Jake for Use that we Love him and you all so much.. A lot of strength in this hard times.. We love ya.. Gibi , Emma , David , Marilyne, Christina and family.. From Bomaire

May 30th, 2012 at 22:20
Gail Thomas Says:

Peace and blessings to you, Linda, and Krystyana and Bas. You all are the pure essence of what love in a family is all about. And as for you, Jake, my wishes for a sucessful new journey, as one whom epitomized pure love for his fellow man, all over this world. With much love and respect, Gail

May 30th, 2012 at 22:32
Diane Slater Says:

God will take wonderful care of Jake, through his next journey.
Linda and family, take note of all the beautiful memories and blessings you have shared with Jake. Take all the time you need to get yourselves through this as well. You have so many family and friends to lean on in this time of need. God will watch over you as well. My heart goes out to Jake, Linda, and your precious family.

May 30th, 2012 at 23:06
Alisa Cohn Says:

Much strength and love, Linda. Keeping all of you in thoughts and prayers.

May 30th, 2012 at 23:09
Anita, Jeff and Family Says:

Jake, While you and your family are across the country, the stories and photos shared touch our hearts and lives as if you were beside us. Thank you for sharing your adventures and being a part of our lives. Linda, Jake, Kyrstyana, Bas … you are a remarkable family. Continued strength and love.

May 30th, 2012 at 23:12
Julie Winfield Says:

Thoughts, prayers, love, and hugs…….
God speed to you all,

May 30th, 2012 at 23:14
Debbie B Says:

Lots of hugs, love and positive thoughts being sent. I have been traveling a lot this year and just got back this past Monday and just found out all the events that have recently happened. My heart is saddened to hear this. Keeping Jake and his family in my thoughts and prayers during this time and hope you all feel the love pouring in from all corners of the globe.

May 31st, 2012 at 02:25
Sue & Brian Says:

We’re keeping you all in our thoughts. Sue & Brian.

May 31st, 2012 at 03:18
George & Laura Says:

This poem suits Jake well:
I Don’t Believe in Death – Pauline Webb

I don’t believe in death
Who comes in silent stealth
He robs us only of a breath
Not of a lifetime’s wealth
I don’t believe in the tomb
Imprisons us in earth
It’s but another loving womb
Preparing our new birth
I do believe in life
Empowered from above
Till freed from stress and worldly strife
We soar through realms above
I do believe that then
In joy that never ends
We’ll meet all those we’ve loved, again
And celebrate our friends.

May 31st, 2012 at 07:26
Scott Bae Says:

Jake….

Much love brother….I’ve thought about you everyday since we’ve crossed paths.

Jake and I met for dinner in NYC (Lincoln Restaurant) from one of our graduate photography classes. Our meeting/conversation meant the world to me because he wanted to talk about my art, thoughts on politics, family, life, love, and what else? FOO:D!

Though having met only once through school, it seemed as if we have known each other for a while through our interests. We looked like little school boys talking about some of the professors from the program…. It’s just one of those things you feel ‘click’ like the shutters of a camera.

Lets see….SUBJECT: FOOD and ART….. ok, you got me! : )

Thank you Jake for tapping my shoulders to say ‘hi’ (virtually) and spending time with me in NYC. I can say I am truly lucky to have met a seasoned citizen of the world and renaissance man as a friend. You are where.

LOVE and HUGS to you and the family.

Respectfully Yours,
Scott Bae

May 31st, 2012 at 07:53
Cecil Berry Says:

Tailwinds and a following sea, Jake on your next journey.

May 31st, 2012 at 08:47
Francey & Eky Allee Says:

Dear Jake, Linda, Kyrstyana, Bas-
We are here quietly praying for you. Love, Hugs, and Peace.

May 31st, 2012 at 09:17
Kelly Baum Says:

Thank you for sharing your life, love and journey with us. I have many many happy memories to sustain me and make me smile. When I think of Jake, I picture him on the back patio with the dogs, smiling and bent over patting them and laughing. Always laughing, always smiling, always taking the time for a kind word. These are the things I will remember. And it usually involved food of some sort.

Linda, may you continue to gather the strengh you have to get through all of this. You are not alone.

May 31st, 2012 at 10:07
Judy Workman Says:

My heart is breaking for you all. I pray for strength to guide you through this time and in the future. I pray for an ease to end the suffering Jake is experiencing now and the grief we all will experience later. I pray for joy to buoy you up when you remember your days together. I pray for you, his family, to never feel his loss, only his love. Dushi Jake, until we meet again…

May 31st, 2012 at 10:47
Margarite Says:

He is so loved. You are all so loved. What more can we possibly want in this life??? Thank you thank you thank you. And that is not enough. Words are inadequate.

May 31st, 2012 at 12:14
Judi Says:

Into that great beyond for Jake and new beginnings with multitudes of good thoughts and wishes for all of you. Know that you are all loved and cared for

May 31st, 2012 at 12:44
Eric Dowling Says:

A sister in law of mine died of cancer recently and a different sister in law had a dream that the deceased sister in law telephoned her and told her things about what was going on in the next world. Lots of other people have had the deceased appear to them in dreams with various messages or symbologies.

Some close people might hear from jake in the future via dreams. Be sure to write down what happened if it happens and take it seriously.

May 31st, 2012 at 17:49
Corine Says:

Thinking of you, the kids and of Jake. Wishing there was another end to this chapter but knowing that there still is so much left to write in the Richter family book.

May 31st, 2012 at 20:14
Niki and Bob Says:

Oh, SIGH…. It’s so hard seeing the words, Nearing the End. Jake, passing on, but living on within so many he touched. “Deeply inscribed,” as you wrote. So true. I keep sending love to you all. Niki