Jake’s Last Moments   June 2nd, 2012

from Linda

It was late at night, just past midnight on June 1st. Something woke me where I rested on the sofa bed in Jake’s room at the hospice. I looked to Jake and tried to focus my hearing on his breathing. I watched him through the dimmed light. At that point, a nurse came in to check on him. She went to him, listened for a minute, and came over to me. She let me know it would be soon.

We both went to Jake. I sat beside him and held his hand. She rested her hand ever so lightly on his chest. One short breathe and a long pause. Another short breathe and no more. We paused waiting for the next one that didn’t come. She got out her¬†stethoscope and waited for his heart to fade away. She whispered he had passed.

She asked if I would like a few minutes alone which I did. I held his hand, caressed his face, kissed his forehead and said my good-byes.

Before I left to be with our children at home, the nurses gently took care of Jake’s body in the dim golden light. They laid a handmade quilt over him and lit a candle. ¬†I slipped out into the quiet night for the drive home under the moonlight.

This entry was posted on Saturday, June 2nd, 2012 at 11:22 and is filed under Family. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.Both comments and pings are currently closed.

June 3rd, 2012 at 14:57
Niki and Bob Says:

Thank you, Linda. For allowing us in. Our hearts are with you.

June 3rd, 2012 at 17:21
Darlene Ellis Says:

Linda,
There are no words to express how I am feeling. I believe that Jake new that you were there by his side until his last breath. I hope that you are able to fill the hole that is left in your hear with all of the happy memories that you created together. Much love goes to you, Bas, Yana and everyone else whose Jake’s life has touched.
Big Hugs,
Darlene

June 3rd, 2012 at 19:05
annette and trevor Says:

Linda
thanks for sharing Jakes final moments with us-he will be missed by so many.

peace be with you

Annette and Trevor

June 3rd, 2012 at 20:50
Linda Resovsky Says:

Thank you, Linda, for including us, your extended family, in these difficult days. Although I have never met you or Jake, I felt like part of your family, via BT and Jake’s Take.
I am sending you love, hugs and strength.
Linda R.

June 3rd, 2012 at 21:01
Melody and Tom Says:

Linda
We think of you and we think of how profoundly Jake touched our lives and so many others. We will never forget the cleanup dives, the garlic-packing party at your house the left us all with raw fingers, the Sinter Klaus celebrations. Especially we remember our first months on Bonaire, when you guys dropped everything to help us move Tom’s library and our computer stuff to high ground when the waves from Lenny were pounding our condo. You are loved, Melody & Tom

June 3rd, 2012 at 21:34
Robert and Susan Says:

Thank you for continuing to write for Jake. All of you are in our thoughts and prayers as you go through this difficult time may you find comfort and strength. May he rest in peace.

June 3rd, 2012 at 22:01
Diane Slater Says:

My heart and prayers go out to you and yours. Know that Jake is no longer fighting that horrible battle, but is now resting comfortably and ready to continue to watch over his precious family. Only now, he is at a much higher post. Take comfort in your family and friends who will watch out for you from here. Godspeed Jake!

June 4th, 2012 at 11:25
Scott Bae Says:

This image was made in the memory of Jake.

Title: #5253-601

Wamth,
SB

June 4th, 2012 at 12:36

Sounds just like it was when my Dad went. My son and I were right there at the end. It’s a privilege to be able to witness this. Jake brought so many of us together. Brave Linda…you are amazing. Love to the family during this difficult time. Buddhism teaches us that Karma is so important, how we treat others. Jake was a shining, warm and friendly light to so many of us. Surely he will be greatly rewarded on the other side.

June 4th, 2012 at 13:21
Winnie Williams Says:

Dear Linda, Krystyana, and Bas,
I am sending you Good Vibrations and An Abundance of Strength.

June 4th, 2012 at 13:38
Jamie Says:

Linda, Jake is lucky to have such a strong, beautiful, love-filled life partner. I hope you, Yana, and Bas all find strength in each other during this time. Love, love, and more love to all of you.

June 4th, 2012 at 18:42
Sherry Flumerfelt Says:

Linda, I’m feeling heartbroken for you and your kids, but also in complete admiration of your strength and support for Jake this past year. We all hope to be surrounded by that much love and devotion in our final days. My sincere condolences to you, Krystyana, Bas, and everyone who loves him. (Sherry – from CORAL during the Bonaire Dive Fest days)

June 4th, 2012 at 18:48
Doug Colt Says:

Linda and family, I am so sorry to hear of Jake’s passing, but I hope that there is comfort for you in knowing that he is at peace. I was at my father’s side when he passed away two years ago, and being with him at the end like you were with Jake was one of the most remarkable experiences of my life. I have no doubt that Jake knew you were there and that your love would always be with him. My very best wishes to you and your entire family. Know that Jake helped educate many, many people about melanoma, and I have no doubt that his blog and his experiences will better the lives of many to come in the future.

June 5th, 2012 at 03:25
Jim Carlton Says:

My heart goes out to you and the kids. May your memories of Jake bring you strength, love, and solace.

June 5th, 2012 at 17:00
Jan Klos Says:

Linda…
Jake was an extremely giving person. If you called for a favor, he would be there to help, no questions asked. It was evident in his (and your) writings just how much love you all shared with each other. May that love help you with your grieving.

Your lives were an open book for all of us to read thru his treatment and final day. And I must say, some of it was very difficult to read, as it brough back my own persoanl memories.

Thanks Jake for touching so many lives in a way only you could.

Thankyou Linda,Yana and Bas for sharing such a wonderful man.

He will be truly missed……May he watch over you all….

June 6th, 2012 at 00:50
Sue Newton Says:

Linda, I have lost track of time with everything going on. I found out tonight from Jamie Goldfarb that Jake had passed. I am SO sorry. I sat here and shed tears for him and for all of you. I never met him but felt like I knew him from our emails. You were both such a tremendous help to me when I was starting the trial and scared to death.
My heart and my prayers go out to you and your children and all your family who will miss him so deeply. Thank you for being so open at such a difficult time in your life. May God bless you all.

June 6th, 2012 at 16:18
barbara Says:

Thank you for sharing so much.
You are an amazing woman, Linda!

June 11th, 2012 at 22:54
Walt Scaff Says:

Friend of Carole Baker here: powerful reading. Cancer has been the nemesis of my family as well. No boundaries here, my brother is a physician who was just diagnosed with stage 3b colon cancer. My blue eyed, fair skinned daughter will be reading this to hopefully discourage her from ‘working on her ‘tan’. Blessings at this time and thanks for having the courage to share.

July 17th, 2012 at 11:17
Marjan Klootwijk Says:

Dear Linda, my deepest condolances with the loss of your husband and soulmate. From the moment I found out Jake was diagnosed with cancer I read his blogs from beginning to end. This was shortly after I met both Jake and you in June 2010 at your home on Bonaire. The art I bought from both of you that holiday will now always have a very special meening to mee and looking at it, it will make me think of Jake. I hope the many wonderful and happy memories will comfort you and the children in the difficult days ahead and the future. Warmest regards, Marjan (from Holland)