Plans and Donations   June 5th, 2012

For all our anal retentive planning, this I was not prepared for…
Requests for when service/memorial might be, or flowers, or donations.

So first of all here is the plan discussed with Jake. Jake is being cremated.

His ashes will be divided into three portions.

• One will be taken back to the Czech Republic so that it can be placed with his ancestors and be near his parents who live in Prague.
  • Another will remain in the US. We are currently working on these plans but are hoping for a place in Auburn, NH as that is the town we were married in and the resting place of my grandparents who loved Jake dearly. Originally, we had thought some kind of scattering but our son, Bas, has requested a stone/urn so he has some place to call his Dad’s.
  • The last will be returned to Bonaire for a scattering in the sea to occur sometime in the fall; we are thinking October. We will let one and all know when we have definite plans so you can join us at the beach.

And a slight variation on Jake’s wishes, we are making up small pocket stones with his name on them to be left at various destinations around the world, so that Jake can continue to travel with us. He started a list with the children during his last hospital stay.

The kids and I will likely remain in the US for the summer and return to Bonaire in the late summer/early fall. We have no definite dates but plan on taking our time and spending some of the tough special days ahead like birthdays, Father’s Day and our anniversary close to the support of family.

Anybody that wants to contact us, our home in the US is:
73 Derry Road
Chester, NH 03036
or of course, you can email me at linda@lindarichter.com

Donations can be made in Jake’s name to any number of places. Here are a few suggestions that quickly come to mind.

Support Bonaire, Inc. www.SupportBonaire.org
Near and dear to our hearts, we started this US charity to fund various non-profit organizations on Bonaire.

Massachusetts General Hospital – Melanoma Center
Most of Jake’s care was under the direction of Dr. Keith Flaherty at MGH in the Melanoma Center. I cannot say enough good things about all the people that helped and cared for all of us at MGH, Concord Hospital, and NCI in Bethesda. If I started naming names, I would forget someone and feel badly about it. MGH has many clinical trials and researchers working to find a cure.

and last but not least…
Community Hospice House in Merrimack, NH
This hospice is a not-for-profit VNA. They are wonderful people doing an amazing job at end of life.

Tags: , , , ,
This entry was posted on Tuesday, June 5th, 2012 at 10:57 and is filed under Family, Health. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.Both comments and pings are currently closed.

June 5th, 2012 at 11:08
Jenna Says:

Linda, as always the grace you demonstrate is a awe-inspiring. Thank you so much for this information.

June 5th, 2012 at 11:48
Michael Fitzgerald Says:

Linda, I second Jenna’s comments. Do let us know if there will be a memorial service.

Michael

June 5th, 2012 at 14:31
Tara Smith Says:

Add me to the grateful. You are a wonder.

Gentle hugs to the three of you ~ I love the Pocket Stone idea. Jake will always be with you but it’s nice to have something tangible too!
Much love,
Tara and Guy

June 5th, 2012 at 14:54
Ann Says:

Dear Linda,

Thank you for sharing your plans and ways in which we can remember Jake – wonderful ones they are. We look forward to sharing memories of Jake and in stories in his honor. And, we look forward to time we can spend with you, Krystyana and Bas.

Thanks so much for your note. We are thinking of you!

Love,

Ann

June 5th, 2012 at 15:05
Kelly Baum Says:

LOVE the pocket stone idea! Jake would love it, too. :)

Thank you for continuing to keep us all up to date during unquestionably the most difficult time of your life. The human race could learn a lot from the Richters. Love you and the kids to bits.

June 5th, 2012 at 15:14

Linda,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share these thoughts and information. I love the pocket stone idea, he will always be close to your heart in so many ways.

Hugs and love coming your way over the next few months as you navigate this new path you had not chosen. We are here for you.

Love,

June 5th, 2012 at 16:34
Tom Cousino Says:

Linda, thank you for keeping us updated.

Hugs, Tom

June 5th, 2012 at 21:24
Kathleen Dewhurst Says:

Linda, thanks for this notice and for all of the times I’ve received a note from you when I was thinking of Jake and you all, wondering how things were going. You did a great job of keeping all informed. I’m here from San Diego, thought I could be helpful while Sam is in China. We’re all looking forward to seeing you, Bas and Krystyana on Friday. Love, Kathleen….hope we will still keep in touch, come to San Diego sometime…..

June 5th, 2012 at 23:33

Thanks so much for the details, Linda. I just love the pocket stones and look forward to future blog postings from the Traveling Richters as you visit some of the destinations you promised to see.
I’m glad you will be spending the summer near family in Chester. Big hugs to all of you.

June 6th, 2012 at 03:33
Greta Anthony Says:

Linda, thank you for sharing your plans regarding Jake. And also the donations information…that is very helpful. I’m so glad you’re choosing to stay close to family for awhile. :)

Love, love, love the pocket stone idea! Hugs!

June 6th, 2012 at 09:19
Elvira Says:

Linda, thank you for sharing your thoughts and information, love the pocket stones – a grea tidea. Hugs and peace to all of you.

June 7th, 2012 at 20:35
William Says:

Linda – thanks to you and Jake for sharing so much of yourselves over the past while. You don’t know me but Jake and his story have been an inspiration to me in my struggle with melanoma, and he will remain an inspiration. Jake’s humor, courage and humility set the bar for me. I send you all my best thoughts , hopes and feelings.

June 14th, 2012 at 21:37
Freddie Says:

Just thinking of you all today.. Please Know that you are loved.

Freddie

June 17th, 2012 at 17:24
Laura R Says:

I seoond Freddie’s comment– thinking of you all. Laura

July 13th, 2012 at 22:48
Don Says:

Hi Linda, I have been following Jakes story from the beginning. I was diagnosed with Melanoma about the same time as Jake. I thank you and your family for sharing the stories along your journey. I and sending you all my best wishes.

Don

July 18th, 2012 at 18:36
Linda Richter Says:

Don, All the best to you as well. Just keep up the fight.
Linda

July 19th, 2012 at 23:59
Darrell Says:

Hi Linda, I’m a relative newcomer to all this (I was diagnosed stage III just recently). Jake’s blog was a strong line to hold onto when everything seemed to happen at once. It was personal and real unlike the clinical sites I was coming across. I just want to say thank you, reading through the blog made everything more real but at the same time gave me a firmer grip on what to do.

July 20th, 2012 at 00:33
Linda Richter Says:

Darrell, I’m glad the blog helped. Jake started it to help himself deal with the overwhelming stress of cancer. Good luck to you in your fight. Linda